Home - Embassies & Visa

Embassies  Visa

China Visa Service

In order to come to China on one of our programs, you must have a passport that is valid for at least three months after your visit to China will conclude, and you must also already have the necessary visa. Every person should already have an approved visa before entering China and if entering Tibet, an approved permit must be obtained two weeks before entering. If you only plan on traveling to Hong Kong or Macau, you do not need a visa to enter China.

Obtaining a Visa

It is very easy for almost anyone to obtain a tourist visa to enter China. The tourist visa is usually good for a maximum stay of up to sixty days. Please direct all questions to your nearest PRC embassy or consulate, or contact us and we can help anyone who has a valid passport to process applications for visas into China.

To apply for a Chinese tourist visa (Type L), you will need to fill out an application form, have one passport-size photo and a valid passport. The usual length of time for a visa to be processed is around one week. The Chinese Embassy must have approval from the Tibet Tourism Administration before issuing all permits into Tibet.The passport-size photo must be one similar to that in your passport. It can only show the head, full frontal and have a white background. The photo itself can be processed at any passport photo service center.Unless you are planning to leave China and enter again, you will only need to apply for a single entry visa. This is good for three months from the date of issue and will allow you to stay in China for a maximum of sixty days.

Visitors who wish to travel to Hong Kong or Macau and hold passports from the following countries DO NOT need a visa when staying for a certain length of time. If you are not from any of these listed countries or want to stay longer than the allowed length of time, you will need to apply for a visa. The applications for these two places can be found and accepted by any Chinese diplomatic or consular mission or also by the HKSAR Immigration Department by mail or a local sponsor. Hong Kong Immigration Department: Tel: (852) 2824 6111 Fax: (852) 2877 7711
Immigration Tower ,7, Gloucester Road Wan Chai, Hong Kong

If you want to obtain your visa in person while in Hong Kong, you may do so from the Visa Office of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of China. The office is open from Monday to Friday. The following documents must be brought to obtain a Chinese visa: 1.A recent passport-size photo 2.A valid passport (good for 3 months after the departure date from China) 3.Visa application. A visa can usually be obtained within one working day.
The address is as follows (please call before going to their office):
5th Floor, Lower Block, 26 Harbor Road, Wan Chai, Hong Kong
Tel: (852) 2585 1657 or (852) 2585 1680 or (852) 2585 1794
For an invitation letter, we need the following information:
1.The date of entry into China 2.The total number of days in China
3.The cities that will be visited 4.Passport Expiration Date
5.Every person's name as it appears on each passport
6.Your personal home address 7.Date of Birth
8.Passport Number 9.Occupation
10.Telephone, fax number and email address
11.Gender Remember, if you need to leave and re-enter China, you must apply for a double or multiple entry visa. Even when you leave for Hong Kong or Macao from mainland China, you still need to have a double or multiple entry visa.

The 72 Hours Visa-Free Transit Policy

In order to meet the needs of the transit passengers in China, Beijing and Shanghai have introduced the 72 hours visa-free transit policy, followed by Guangzhou, Chengdu, Chongqing, Dalian and Shenyang. Thus, foreign visitors From the approved countries can enjoy a short stay in these cities.

According to the regulations of Ministry of Public Security of the People's Republic of China, people who meet the following requirements can apply for the visa-free transit:
1,Holding passports issued by the following 45 countries: 24 European member states of Schengen visa agreement: Austria, Belgium, the Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, The Grand Duchy of Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, the Slovak Republic, the Republic of Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland. 7 other European countries: Russia, the UK, Ireland, the Republic of Cyprus, the Republic of Bulgaria, Romania, Ukraine. 6 American countries: The United States, Canada, Brazil, Mexico, Argentina, Chile. 2 Oceania countries: Australia, New Zealand. 6 Asian countries: South Korea, Japan, Singapore, Brunei, UAE ( United Arab Emirates), Qatar.
2, Holding valid documents certifying one’s national identity
3,Qualification for the entry requirements of their third destination country or region
4,Holding valid airline tickets with 72-hour validation and making transit through Beijing Capital International Airport to the third country

Some tips:
1,This policy only apply to passengers who make transit through International Airports in one of above cities to the third country, excluding round trip flights.
2,The 72-hour free stay only applies to those transiting via Airports.
3, Air passengers who are interested to go out of the airports for sightseeing, conference, family visit, etc during the stopover, should apply for transit permit request to the carrier airlines in advance. While for passengers transiting via Beijing Capital International Airport, they can apply for it after arrival.
4,Visitors are not allowed to leave the transit city to other cities during the 72 hours.
5,If visitors are unable to depart on time because of unavoidable reasons, like flight cancellation, treatment of sudden disease, etc, they need apply for a visa from Municipal Public Security Bureau (PSB). Otherwise, tourists cannot apply for an extension of stay.
6,Some goods are prohibited entry, such as fresh fruits and vegetables. They shall be destroyed under the surveillance of Entry-Exit Inspection and Quarantine Bureau. While for the companion animals or carry storable food carried by the travelers, they can apply to Entry-Exit Inspection and Quarantine Bureau for temporary custody within the stopover period and re-export.

My question*We welcome and appreciate your questions & reviews

User Comments

Name:Joana Reply

I'm going to China in March and just in the process of applying a visa. But a china visa website I had visited asked for airlines information. I'm wondering can I get a visa without airline reservations.


I think that website hadn't updated their website since the Olympics, when flight ticket and accommodation were required to apply a visa. Now most nationalities do not need to show reservations in order to get a visa.

Name:Kate Reply

Hi everyone. I'm from LA and would like to ask what are the requirements for a china tourist visa and how long does it take for the visa to get processed.


You can visit the website of the Chinese embassy and download their visa application form (L), fill it up with the necessary details. The normal single entry tourist visa would normally take 3-4 days. You can also entrust a travel agent to help, but more expensive.

Name:China Visa Reply

sir, Already 3 times i have travelled to china ,but this time i woild like to get a long time visa like 1 year , this is for my business purpose, where i can stay there and do the long term business with a China Visa, so pls let me know the details.

Name:About China Visa Reply

Good Day! I'm from philippines and i would like to ask if do i need to get visa im planning to travel in beijing this coming october i have already a reservation letter? Thanks

Name:China Visa Reply

I am from Los Angeles,USA I'm staying for 3 days in Beijing then to Philippines do I need a Chinese visa? Iris Challoy. Thanks!

Name:Re: China Visa

Hi Iris, Thanks for your enquiry. This is Chris from itourbeijing and itourschina. Glad to know you. Yes, you need a China Visa if you plan to travel Beijing. And we have local office in Los Angeles that can help you with the Visa. As the professional travel agency in Beijing even in China, we are reday to supply any other excellent service such like Beijing tour and hotel reservation. Please let me know if you need any help. Kind Regards, Chris

Name:China Visa Reply

Can I stay in China mainland for 52 days on a single entry visa?

Name:Re:China Visa

It is very easy for almost anyone to obtain a tourist visa to enter China. The tourist visa is usually good for a maximum stay of up to sixty days.

Name:China Visa Reply

My wife is visiting Beijing on a single entry 30 day tourist visa. I am here on business with a multiple entry visa. We would like to visit Hong Kong together. Is there any way we can get a visa for my wife to visit Hong Kong with me and return directly to Beijing after the visit.

Name:Re:China Visa

Dear Sir, very glad to answer your question here. As your wife’s visa is single entry tourist visa, if she goes to Hongkong, the China visa will lose efficacy, so she can not come back to mainland from Hongkong. Here I have two suggestions, the frist is that apply for another China visa in advance. The second is that you can go to Hongkong after having a visit in mainland. Hope it can be helpful.

Name:China Visa Reply

Dear sir/madam, I want to know the required process of china visa and how can I obtain it?

Name:Re:China Visa

Tourists visa Documents required: Valid Passport (valid at least 6 months after the return date and 2 consecutive blank pages) Visa Application Form properly completed and signed, with an ID photo Photocopies of roundtrip airline tickets Photocopies of hotel reservations during your stay or certificate of accommodation in China International Insurance Certificate (care / repatriation, valid during the stay in China) Certificate of employment/proof of income (statement of last 3 months) or certificate of education (for students over 18 ) For those who visit a family member in China, provide a letter of invitation from parents, an attestation of family relationships (family book, marriage certificate...) and identification (residence permit for Foreigners in China, Chinese ID card for Chinese ...) For those who visit friends in China, provide a letter of invitation from a friend in China by joining identification (residence permit for Foreigners in China, Chinese ID card for the Chinese. ..)